Friday, February 3, 2012

Happy Birthday Kellie and Martin!

I love birthdays. They always provide a great reason to make a cake. And they ensure the cake is eaten right away by a multitude of hungry, appreciative people, instead of being consumed entirely by me.

Last week's cake was an oatmeal cake, something I'd never considered might exist before. I love oatmeal... I eat ridiculous quantities of it year round, even in the sweltering heat of summer. Breakfast, lunch, dinner... it can be adapted to all meal times and all seasons. Every bowl can be a new experience depending on the fruits (fresh or dried), nuts, and spices you add. Thankfully, it's full of health benefits... good for your heart, full of fiber, etc.

I can't say that an oatmeal cake is particularly healthy; however, it is delicious. Words cannot do it justice. It was so soft and moist, and the topping... a mix of pecans, coconut, brown sugar, and butter toasted under the broiler that can only be described as heavenly. I can imagine how perfectly it would pair with a hot cup of coffee for breakfast, or how amazing it would taste served warm with a big scoop of cold vanilla ice cream. I think "comfort food" is another good descriptor. Happily it's an easy cake to make, requiring few ingredients and few dishes, so you can bet this one will be made again. A lot.

I took it to a joint birthday celebration for two of my friends from school. It was showered with compliments while being quickly devoured. Bringing a cake to a party is a huge ego booster. I don't know if people just don't bake cakes anymore or what, but everyone is always hugely impressed, even over a modest cake like this one (I mean, it's not like it was a Yule Log or anything). Anyway, I was lucky to get a piece, and I confess to scraping the crumbs out of the pan before putting it in the dishwasher. This cake was definitely a winner. I'm gladly accepting reasons to make another!

1 comment:

  1. Please send me this recipe - I don't think I can wait for you to re-make when I visit.

    ReplyDelete