Sunday, January 29, 2012

Choclate makes everything better

Even the winter blues. Well, a little better, at least.

Dr. Robinson was also fighting the winter blahs when she made this cake. It's a glum time of year--back to the daily grind after the holidays, no vacation in sight, the weather is chilly and rainy. Dr. R says there was snow in Ohio. I wouldn't mind a little snow right now. It has a quiet, calming effect, bringing a noticeable hush to the usually bustling city. Of course, part of that is because the entire Atlanta area shuts down at the first flake, but, that aside, if you know snow, you know what I mean. I could use a little of that peace right now.

I made last week's cake - Mink Coat Chocolate Cake - and I just... kept it. I ate it piece by piece myself, except for a couple pieces I gave to Tim and Maureen for helping me out when I had a flat tire (my third since October... don't drive your tires past 40,000 miles). I believe the name derives from the icing, a heavy, thick caramel icing made from butter and brown sugar that seals the entire top of the cake in sugary perfection, the way a heavy mink coat wraps a person in soft warmth against an icy winter evening. The cake itself was particularly delicious for a chocolate cake as well. I can say that I truly enjoyed every piece. Sometimes you have days where the highlight is sitting at home in your pajamas wrapped in a blanket watching bad TV and eating chocolate cake. I had 6 of those days. In a row. This week will hopefully be better. Although the distinct lack of chocolate cake might be the first sign of trouble.

1 comment: