Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Superbowl Cake Day

Who brings cake to a Superbowl party? Me, of course. Someone has to think outside the box... I mean, really, there's only so much chili and chips and dip one can consume.

Last week's cake was actually completely inappropriate for the Superbowl. The "Princess Daisy Cake" is described as good for weddings and christenings because it is "light and elegant." Not qualities embodied by football, the competitive spirit of the Superbowl, or the glitz of an over-the-top Madonna & Co halftime show. But I had to make a cake, and I had to contribute to a Superbowl party, so it was just going to have to work.

The cake, a white cake with lemon filling and an Italian meringue icing, is indeed light and citrusy (and perhaps elegant if made by someone with a more skilled hand than me). The cake and filling were straightforward, but the icing dealt me fits, since I don't have nice things like a candy thermometer, leaving me to guess what 242 F looked like (this is apparently the "thread stage" when making a syrup, so when you drop it into cold water, it will make threads, rather than a compact ball). I don't think the texture was quite right, but it tasted fine and didn't detract from the prettiness of the cake.

This out-of-its-element cake actually complemented our Superbowl feast quite well. We are quite the talented bunch in the kitchen: buffalo chicken dip, guacamole, spinach artichoke dip, bean dip, fried green tomatoes, pizza, numerous types of chips, and a buffet of adult beverages. The light, airy cake offered a break from the heavy, greasy Superbowl fare, and was enjoyed by all. Further proof, in my mind, that cake makes everything, even football, Madonna, and Superbowl commercials, better.

No comments:

Post a Comment