Friday, August 12, 2011

When life hands you lemons...

Make lemon poppyseed cake!

A friend and coworker joined me for this week's Cake Day. We decided to add our own little twist and make it Cake and Wine Day, both of which were needed after this week. We enjoyed a good giggle over the fact that the author comments in this chapter on how frustrating laboratory research can be. I think we were both feeling that this week. As Dr. Robinson states, "Apparently I need a new club to wrest inspiration from the titanium jaws of unyielding frustration." Yes, yes indeed.

But we don't have clubs. We have spoons and bowls and honey and eggs and red wine and... lemons. Everything we need for cake and girl talk over a glass of wine. As far as cakes go, this was the perfect cake to put an end to this week: delightfully simple, and simply delicious. (No KitchenAid required)

If I were to make a cake for my mom, this would be the one. She's not a sweets person, preferring salty over sugary. This cake uses honey instead of sugar and calls for wheat flower (conveniently my current obsession), which adds a nuttier, earthier flavor than the all-purpose variety. Additionally (a word only scientists use in regular conversation...), the powdered sugar glaze contains lemon juice and zest, which cuts the pure sugar sweetness with a pleasantly surprising tart zip. The result is a technically simple but flavorfully complex cake, sweet enough to make you smile, but not so sweet you can feel the cavities forming.

The left overs will be shared at lab meeting on Monday, to remind us of the good an occasional lemon can do for us.

2 comments:

  1. Can we have this instead of pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving? Probably not - but I seriously want to try this one next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'll have to make a cake that week anyway... but maybe I can make this one to have as breakfast. It's just as good with coffee as the cake I made while you were here!

    ReplyDelete