Thursday, August 4, 2011

Raspberry Cake for the Scientist's Soul

Today needed to be Cake Day. The atmosphere in the office yesterday afternoon was bleak--everyone was frustrated with their projects, worn out by the heat, and suffering from the general mid-week blues. And after receiving last week's left overs, everyone was hungry for cake anyway... I'd been asked multiple times when the next Cake Day would be. It's impressive how quickly people jump in to support a project when the outcome will be a sweet treat in which they can partake.

So last night I attempted the Raspberries and Cream Cloud Cake.

Which turned out to be an event that reminded me why I don't usually bake cakes: when it comes to baking, I lack certain "things." Mainly, an electric mixer. No one in my family has ever used one. We're stubborn, I suppose, so the only way to bake is the old fashioned way: a spoon and elbow grease. It seems that nowadays, however, most recipes assume you have a giant, shiny (expensive) KitchenAid. The graduate student salary doesn't allow one to purchase such niceties for oneself, and since I haven't had the fortune of a wedding registry yet, I usually make do by MacGyvering a combination of ordinary kitchen tools, an electric hand mixer, and sheer manpower and get through just fine. Apparently, though, not for this cake. While the instructions were exquisitely detailed and clear, and I followed them exactly minus the mixer part, my cake didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped.

I also apparently lack math skills, as I had only 3/4 the raspberries I needed. If only we used the metric system... so much easier than this pints/quarts/ounces nonsense.

All was not lost, however, as what the cake lacked in beauty, it generally made up for in taste. Naturally I sampled some before taking it in this morning, to avoid subjecting my coworkers to further disappointment. But Cake Day the Second was a success, bringing to the office a little cheer and several extra visitors. Good news travels fast. And the sweet fruit and light frosting were perfect in the sweltering weather we're experiencing.

My cat was also quite interested in the cake. I wonder if there are kitty cake recipes...

Next time I attempt this cake, I'll be armed and ready with the correct calculations and, hopefully, a KitchenAid.

1 comment: