Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cake Week?

No, I did not forget to make a cake last week. I've just been putting off writing about it because 1.) I've been so busy I can't even remember what happened last week, and 2.) there's not too much to say.


Thanksgiving was last week, and I decided to add this cake as part of our dessert trio. No one but me likes pumpkin pie, and apple is exhausting to make (peeling all those darn apples...), so we were down to the Best Pecan Pie in the Whole Universe (a secret family recipe) and French Silk pie. This week's recipe was for coconut cake, and while coconut does not seem to go at all with Thanksgiving, I figured why not throw it in? After all, I'm thankful for the tropics because it's warm and there are lots of vacation spots, so why not show a little love by incorporating coconut into our Thanksgiving feast?


My boss generously gave us Wednesday off, so I used part of my "free" time to make the cake. The cake itself is a white cake, and pretty simple as cakes go. The frosting was more interesting--almost like a marshmallow fluff consistency, which was tricky to get just right (thank goodness for the KitchenAid) and trickier to spread. The recipe only called for toasted coconut on the top and outside, but I'm a go-big-or-go-home kinda person, so I put a healthy dash in between the layers as well. I ended up with a lovely three layer tower of vanilla coconut marshmallow goodness.


It was a hit--held its own against the other Thanksgiving desserts Thursday, got rave reviews at our weekly football gathering on Sunday (Tim's new favorite? It's a close call...), and on Monday I sent a large piece (as well as some of the ridiculous amounts of leftover coconut I had) home with some friends from Emory, who also gave it two thumbs up. Kudos to this cake for spreading its cake joy for almost an entire week!

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget the lemon poppyseed "breakfast cake"! Can we all say YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete