Thursday, November 3, 2011

Newsflash!

We interrupt your irregularly scheduled cake blogging with this important news bulletin:



(Cue that shiny sounding "aaaahhhhhh" music they always play on TV when they show something glorious.)

That's right. That day when people are supposed to be nice to me and give me stuff is coming up, and my mom, after reading my entire blog in one sitting (as atonement for not keeping up in the first place.. just kidding!) and listening to me lament about my lack of nice things when it comes to baking, somehow managed to obtain one of these beautiful items, thereby accomplishing both being nice to me and giving me stuff 12 times over.


I got the notice about the package last night, but my apartment office was closed. Morning could not come fast enough. I went to pick it up first thing, and when the guy brought out the box my eyes got really big and a huge smile must have spread over my face, because he commented, "You seem excited." Um... YES! Can you not read the giant "KitchenAid" written on the box? How could it get more exciting? I quickly forgave his lack of understanding, however, when he very generously offered to carry it out to my car. It made for a very long day, knowing that wonderful, gorgeous stand mixer was sitting unopened in my trunk.


When I finally got home, my neighbor noticed me struggling to get the package out of the car along with my backpack, my gym back, a grocery bag with a few items I needed, and my lunch box. He also very generously offered to carry the mixer for me. While I was beginning to feel a little irritated because everyone was getting to touch this mixer except me, I agreed to let him help me up the stairs to my apartment, where I grabbed the scissors and tore open the box to find... another box. At least this one was fancier. But getting the box out of the box was no small feat. And removing the mixer from the second box and all its packaging was yet another adventure. Now I know why only married people get these things... it takes two people to unpack one!

Once the mixer was out of the box and sitting in my entry way, I realized I hadn't made a spot in the kitchen for it. (If you think for one second that thing is going in a cabinet, you are WRONG! It's sitting out so I can stare at it in all its fabulous bright green splendor ALL THE TIME. And then everyone else will see it and have to admire its loveliness too.) So, the blender got demoted to a shelf, and the knife block was moved to a new (albeit probably less convenient) counter spot. Then I thought... WWMD... What Would Mom Do? Sigh. Obviously, I needed to wash everything before putting it together (be proud, mom, be proud). One somewhat hasty sink full of dishes later, it was finally assembly time! Taking no chances, I turned to the manual. But I have to say, I'm pretty sure lesser primates and younger children could figure it out... it's fairly self explanatory. The hardest part is figuring out when you would use all the different... mixy things... (I wondered for a moment if that hook thing was to replace my hand when I actually succeeded in cutting it off while using the chef's knife, and was a little disappointed they didn't include a wooden leg too. Apparently, however, it's for bread doughs. Why bread doughs require a deadly weapon to mix I have yet to figure out.) But thankfully, the manual has that information, as well as recipes. And of course a whole list of attachments I can now start to accumulate! (And by now I mean when I have a house with counter and cabinet space.)

Anyway, short story long, I am now the owner of a fantastic Green Apple KitchenAid stand mixer, and it is displayed prominently on my kitchen counter for all to admire (mostly me). I am patiently waiting until Cake Day (Saturday/Sunday) to use it for the first time... I feel the most appropriate first use of my new mixer is a cake for this project, since that's why I got it in the first place. When I was cleaning up the packaging and gathering all the paperwork, a card fell out of the packing slip. It was a birthday message from my mom: "We all need a little help on our journeys. Here's a little help with Cake, Hope, & Love." I don't know why, but it brought tears to my eyes. Maybe it's because it feels like I need help... lots of help... in all of my journeys right now, and as silly as it sounds, the mixer is something tangible, help I can see and touch and physically use. Maybe it's because this whole crazy cake idea is something I'm doing just for me--it won't make me rich or famous, it won't help me land a great job, it won't help me get my PhD (well... that's somewhat debatable), but my mom still reached out to support this personal, somewhat irrational endeavor, reminding me that no matter what, she's got my back. Regardless, this bright green KitchenAid might make it worth having a birthday this year. And I cannot wait until Cake Day!

1 comment:

  1. Awww - this was so great to read. And yes - I'm behind again. I love the pictures - and the action shot making Tim's cake. And, most impressive - something I wrote made your blog! BAKE ON!!!!

    ReplyDelete