Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tunnel of Fail Cake

Ok, really it’s supposed to be Tunnel of Fudge Cake. But the fact that I am a whole week late on writing about my cake adventure should give you an idea of exactly how well this Cake Day went…

The Tunnel of Fudge Cake requires a Bundt pan, which, naturally, I did not have. Well, technically I have a silicone version, but after a previous silicone muffin disaster and doing some research online, I was way to scared to use it, so I ran out and got a $10.00 real metal nonstick pan from Kroger.

The Bundt pan was created in 1950 by H. David Dalquist. Supposedly, some Jewish women in Minneapolis approached him looking for a better pan to make kugel, a Jewish side dish made of noodles of potatoes (note: I have never tried this, but it is now on my list). Dalquist created the new shape, and women called the pans “bund” pans, for the German term for a gathering of people. Dalquist added the “t” and trademarked it. Incidentally, the pans did not become famous until the introduction of the Tunnel of Fudge Cake by Ella Rita at a Pilsbury Bake-Off in 1966. That makes this week’s recipe both famous and a classic.

Apparently, however, “famous” and “classic” do not correspond to “easy.” First of all, if you’ve ever tried buttering and flouring a Bundt pan, you have experienced true frustration. Trying to get butter in all those little folds is infuriatingly tedious, and how exactly are you supposed to flour that inside spike? Then, I had to cream together 3.5 sticks of butter (!) and 1.75 cups of sugar, which is no small feat with a tiny, cheap pastry cutter and a $10 hand mixer. (Where, oh, where is my KitchenAid?) I’d also like to note that this recipe requires 6 eggs. SIX! Between that and the butter, it might actually be a heart attack on a plate.


Once the buttering and flouring and creaming and mixing were done and the cake was in the oven and my apartment started to fill with the rich smell of chocolate, I calmed down a little. The best moment, though, was removing the cake from the pan. I suddenly loved Bundt pans… you don’t have to do anything and your cake turns out beautiful! Even without frosting. After adding the glaze, I felt pretty satisfied and spent a long time (and several photos) admiring the chocolate gloriousness that was my cake.

Unfortunately, I started to wonder how exactly this cake was going to have a tunnel of fudge inside. At no point did I create said tunnel or add said fudge. So I got back on the internet and did some more research on Bundt and the famous Tunnel of Fudge Cake. Supposedly, the sugar content of the cake prevents the inside from completely solidifying, creating a crisp cake outside but a soft fudge center, with an air pocket above the fudge. Because of this gooey center, the normal toothpick test for doneness can’t be used, and you are dependent on correct temperature and cooking time. Panic set in. Did I beat the butter and sugar until it was fluffy enough? Did I bake it too long? Would I have a tunnel of fudge?


I was trying to save the cake for when my dad arrived, but I didn’t want to serve a cake disaster, so I cut a piece in order to examine the center (and, of course, taste it… both correctness and taste are important when it comes to cake, after all). Sadly, my cake did not have a very prominent fudge center. I was extremely disappointed. It still tasted good though… very rich and very chocolatey. My dad and his wife promptly inhaled the pieces I gave them, and both said it was delicious. My coworkers and friends enjoyed the leftovers as well. So I suppose it wasn’t a complete failure. I’m not sure how many more Bundt cakes I’ll be making, though. Good thing that pan was only $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment